It's been quite a while since I made any buns. Spotted some nice fresh looking yam at the market which gave me an idea for trying to make some yam paste. Not so happy with the 'deceitful' nice looking yam as it wasn't that 'powdery' which resulted in my not so creamy yam paste.
Recipe for Yam Buns (Refer to Meat Floss Buns ~ Take 2 for the dough using the Gelatinized dough method)
- Ingredients for Yam Filling
- 400 gm yam (net wt.)
- 200 gm granulated sugar
- 70 ml vegetable oil
- Cut yam into slices, steam till soft.
- Mash the hot yam with sugar till well blended. Set aside.
- After proving, knock off air from the dough and divide dough into 2 portions, let rest for 10 mins.
- Weigh out 60 gm of dough, roll into balls.
- Flatten a ball of dough and wrap up with 40 gm of yam filling.
- Place wrapped up balls of dough onto greased tart moulds.
- Arrange the tart moulds on a baking tray, cover with a damp cloth and place them in a warm place to prove for another 45 mins.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 25 to 30 mins. or till golden brown.
- Remove buns from oven and let cool in the tart moulds for about 10 mins. before unmoulding and letting cool on a wire rack.
- Yield : 16 Buns