This fruit cake is slightly different from the norm in that it uses Beer instead of Brandy, Sherry or Rum and on top of it, it has chocolate too. Also, the dried fruits are not 'stewed' in alcohol, just cut up and tossed in.
Sounds easy, doesn't it? The chocolate does add a depth to the flavour of this fruity, boozy cake. Give this a try and enjoy this cake as a favourite holiday treat. Perhaps you can bake this for X'mas too, boozy and fruity to welcome 2014!
Recipe for Mixed Fruit Beer Cake
- 150 gm butter
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz/340 gm plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk (3/4 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice + milk to make up 3/4 cup)
- 1 oz/30 gm bittersweet chocolate - melted
- 4 oz - mixed fruits (cranberries, dried apricot and prunes, chopped and dusted with some flour from the recipe)
- 8 oz/230 gm caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Beer
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 oz/90 gm chocolate chunks
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Sift plain flour, baking soda, salt, set aside.
2. Cream butter, sugar till light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, mix well. Mix in the melted chocolate.
4. Add sifted flour alternatively with the beer, buttermilk and orange juice. Mix till smooth.
5. Fold in the mixed fruits and chocolate chunks. Mix well, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
6. Pour batter into a well greased and floured 12 cup Bundt pan.
7. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg. C for 1 hr. 10 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
8. Let cool in pan for 10 mins. before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool.