This cool dessert should be most welcomed in any household during this hot, humid and hazy weather. We are experiencing a very hot spell in this part of the world and this can be choking at times more so if people were to adopt 'open burning' in their compounds. This salted caramel is a fun flavour to make and I like it best, topped with some caramel sauce and a dash of freshly ground seasalt.......an amazing flavour!
Please note that my blog has 'moved house' and my new domain name is www.nofrillsrecipes.com and I would appreciate that you update my home url at your site. Thanks and do have a nice weekend ahead!
Recipe for Salted Caramel Ice Cream (Adapted from 'here' with slight modification)
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 1/8 cup/31 ml water
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp seasalt or a bit less
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- lightly toasted almond nibs
- extra caramel sauce
- seasalt for garnishing
- Heat sugar and water till it turns just light brown.
- Add cream, milk to the pan and allow to heat through, stirring occasionally until it's just beginning to steam. Add and stir in seasalt till it dissolves. Turn off heat and let cool.
- In another bowl whisk egg yolks and vanilla till smooth. Gradually pour the caramel cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the caramel-egg mixture back into the pot and cook till it coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Put in a bowl, cover with cling wrap, let cool in room temperature before refridgerating overnight.
- Churn according to the manufacturer's instructions of your ice cream maker and add in the nibbed almonds just at the end of churning.