This was one of the dishes that I prepared during the recent Chinese New Year holidays. These spare ribs were made with a marinade, cooked in a wok and finally grilled to add a bit of 'crunch', easy and fuss-free. Drizzle on the sauce and they're ready to be served. Meaty and tender, best eaten with your fingers!
Recipe for Spare Ribs with Red Fermented Beancurd Paste ~ 南乳排骨
- 700 gm spare ribs, cut to 3 inch lengths
- 10 gm ginger, pressed
- 8 pips of garlic, pressed
- 3 pcs of Beancurd paste (Nam Yue)
- Cornflour mixture + sesame oil + Shiaoxing wine for the sauce
- Marinate the pork ribs with the ginger, garlic, nam yue and sugar, preferably overnight.
- Put the ribs in a wok, add water to just cover the ribs, cook on medium heat, cover, simmer on low heat till ribs are tender and sauce reduced.
- Fine tune to taste.
- Take out the ribs, grill for 2 to 3 mins on each side.
- Arrange the ribs on a plate.
- Thicken the sauce in the pan with cornflour mixture, turn off heat, add the sesame oil and wine.
- Pour the sauce over the ribs.
- Serve with some salad on the side.