It is this time of the year again that we're beginning to see a lot of stalls being set up in the shopping malls selling a great variety of Mooncakes for the Mid-Autum Mooncake Festival which will fall on Monday, 8th of September. I notice that the varieties of mooncakes seem to increase from year to year and some flavours can be very extraordinary.
I'm quite conservative and prefer to stick to the traditional flavours but may venture to add or substitute some of the ingredients to create a new twist to the flavour..... hence, my Mixed Nuts and Meat Floss Mooncakes.
The meat floss is hardly visible in the pictures but it does enhance the flavour of these nutty Mooncakes.
Recipe for Mixed Nuts and Meat Floss Mooncakes
- 60 gm walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 60 gm almonds, toasted and chopped
- 20 gm pumpkin kernels, toasted
- 10 gm melon seeds, toasted
- 75 gm kat paeng, chopped
- 140 gm tong toong kua (candied melon)
- 65 gm sesame seeds, toasted
- 30 gm meat floss (chicken or pork)
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 4.1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4.1/2 Tbsp water
- 1.1/2 Tbsp rose concentrate
- 3/4 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 kaffir leaves, shredded and fried (optional)
- 120 gm koh fun (cooked glutinous rice flour)
- 3 Tbsp Brandy (optional)
- Mix the above items except for the last two ingredients. Let rest for 30 mins.or more.
- Mix in the koh fun and Brandy. Roll out into balls of about 130 gm portions.
- 150 gm superfine flour (may need to add more if too soft to handle)
- 90 ml golden syrup
- 38 ml vegetable oil
- 2 ml alkaline water
- Egg wash - 1 whole egg + 1 tsp water, mix and strain
- Mix syrup, oil and alkaline water thoroughly till no oil surface. Use a ball whisk.
- Sift in flour, mix well with spatula and let rest for 2 hours or more.
- Knead lightly on floured surface.
- Dough skin is 50 to 55 gm
- Filling is 130 to 150 gm
Ingredients for Skin Dough
To assemble the mooncakes and bake them, please check it out 'here'
I'm linking this post to the Little Thumbs Up event and the them for the month of August, is Flour
jointly organised by
and hosted by
Diana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe