This is quite a common dish in households and my mum used to whip this up whenever we had plain white porridge for lunch. I'm not so keen on the fish, but will make a beeline for the beancurd sticks and puffs instead!
Recipe for Braised Fish Fillet with Black Beans 豆豉焖鱼
- 2 pieces of fish fillet about 125 gm each, seasoned with some salt
- 6 beancurd puffs cut into half
- 50 gm beancurd sticks, soaked and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 4 pips of garlic, chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 Tbsp black bean
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp cornflour + 2 tsp water to thicken
- 2.1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp oil for frying
- Heat up some oil in a wok, fry the chopped garlic and ginger till fragrant, toss in the black beans, stir-fry.
- Add in water, let it simmer, add in the beancurd sticks and puffs, continue to simmer.
- Add in the fish fillet, simmer till cooked. Fine tune to taste and add in the cornflour thickening.
- Dish out and serve.
- Sprinkle on some chilli slices and spring onions if desired.