I love red bean, be it in kuih, mooncakes, rice dumpling or other pastries with red bean paste filling. This was my first attempt at making the red bean paste from scratch and had to admit that it was really very time consuming. Nonetheless this sticky rice cake or glutinous rice cake with red bean paste, was indeed very delicious especially when taken fresh from the pan. I like it that it was not deep-fried but pan-fried with very little oil when using a non-stick pan. Great to snack on with a good old cup of hot Chinese tea!
Recipe for Sticky Rice Cake with Red Bean Paste ~ 芝麻豆沙饼 (adapted from 'here')
- 250 gm glutinous rice flour and extra to dust
- 200 to 230 ml water
- 360 gm red bean paste, homemade
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Oil for frying
- Put glutinous rice flour into a mixing bowl. Gradually add water to mix into a soft, pliable dough that doesn't stick to the hand.
- Cover dough with a wet piece of cloth and let rest for 15 mins. or more.
- Meanwhile, weigh the red bean paste into 20 gm each and roll into a ball.
- Dust a work top with some flour, knead dough lightly.
- Divide dough in half, roll with both hands to shape into an oblong. Divide into 6 pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Place a ball of dough in your palm and flatten with your hand to about 2.1/2 inch diameter and 1/4 inch thick.
- Place a ball of paste in the center of the dough. Wrap up and seal the edges, flatten and press some the dough onto a plate of sesame seeds, both sides.
- Heat up some oil in a non-stick pan and place the cakes onto the pan. Lightly fry and flip over the cakes now and then, till the cakes are soft, slightly puffed up and golden brown.
- Dish out and serve immediately.
- Yield : 12 pieces.