I was contemplating whether to unmould this chiffon cake by hand or with a thin palette knife and after deliberating for a while, I decided to give unmoulding by hand, a try. To my pleasant surprise the cake was dislodged quite easily and there weren't any unsightly patches. I had to wait 2 hours to let the cake cool completely before unmoulding. This is a moist, light chiffon with a good taste of Rum, just what I need with my hot cup of tea!
Recipe for Mocha Chiffon Cake ~ 摩卡戚风蛋糕 (adapted from 'here')
- 6 egg yolks
- 4.1/2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 1.1/2 Tbsp Rum
- 120 gm plain flour
- 3/8 tsp baking powder
- 1.1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1.1/2 Tbsp coffee
- 75 ml hot water
- 6 egg whites
- 6 Tbsp caster sugar
- 3/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Dissolve the cocoa and coffee powder in hot water, mix well, set aside.
- Sift plain flour,baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add in the egg yolks, sugar, oil, Rum and the mocha mixture. Beat on slow to high speed till mixture is well combined and smooth.
- In another clean bowl, beat the egg whites till little frothy, add in cream of tartar, whisk till foamy and add in the sugar in 3 batches till soft peaks form but not dry.
- Fold 1/3 egg whites into the mocha mixture, mix well, then fold in the balance of egg whites. Mix well till no lumps form.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 23 cm chiffon cake pan. Use a chopstick to run over the mixture.
- Tap the pan on the worktop to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 170 deg.C for 55 to 60 mins. and test with a skewer till it comes it clean.
- Invert the cake immediately and let cool in pan for about 2 hours. When the cake is completely cooled, unmould it by hand.