I was doing some spring cleaning of my fridge the other day and stumbled upon a packet of coriander powder that was close to expiry. Putting nothing to waste, I whipped up this dish as I had bought some chicken from the market that morning.
This dish is not spicy and it goes well with rice. Mmmm ....... yummy chicken leg. More rice?
Recipe for Coriander Chicken
- 450 gm free range chicken, cut into bite size
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder + 1 Tbsp water to mix into a paste
- 10 gm ginger
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 pips garlic
- 1 Tsp preserved bean paste (Tau Cheong)
- 1/2 Tsp sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 small piece cinnamon stick
- Pound together the ginger, onion and garlic.
- Heat up a pan with 1 Tbsp oil and saute the pounded ingredients with the star anise and cinnamon stick till fragrant.
- Add in the coriander paste and preserved bean paste, stir fry.
- Add in the chicken pieces and 1/2 tsp sugar, stir fry and add in 1/2 cup water.
- Simmer on low heat till the chicken pieces are cooked through and the gravy has been slightly reduced.
- Add salt to taste, dish out.
- Serve hot with rice.