I made a small batch of this Apricot and Almond cookies to sample for the coming Chinese New Year and they were good. I rarely use dried fruits in my cookies but this combination of dried apricots and almonds is worth a try and therefore would like to share the recipe with you.
These sweet and crunchy cookies were finished in no time and definitely will be on my list of cookies for the coming festive season.
Recipe for Apricot and Almond cookies (Makes 20)
- 3 oz butter
- 2 oz caster sugar
- 50 ml condensed milk
- 25 ml egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 100 gm dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole almonds, finely chopped
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, condensed milk and vanilla till light and creamy. Fold in sifted flour.
- Add in the chopped apricots and almonds. Mix well and roll dough into a log.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and refrigerate for about 30 mins or till firm.
- Using a serrated knife, cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place onto a paper lined baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 12 mins, or until light golden brown. (Need to monitor the temperature as the apricots tend to brown easily).
- Let cookies stand on tray for about 8 mins. before removing them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an air-tight cookie jar.