Red velvet cupcakes were what I made to usher in 2012. These crimson red cute little cupcakes were soft and moist and everyone liked the vibrant colour, just right for the New Year. As my family members were not fond of cream or cheesy icing of any sort, I resorted to using good old icing sugar to spice up and give a contrasting colour to these cupcakes.
Recipe for Red velvet cupcakes (Makes 12)
- 125 gm plain flour, sifted twice
- 1 Tbsp cocoa/chocolate powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp red colouring
- 1/4 cup or 57 gm butter
- 90 gm sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Icing sugar for decoration (optional)
1. Mix the buttermilk with the red colouring thoroughly, set aside.
2. Sift the flour twice, then sift in the chocolate powder, baking powder
and salt, mix well. Set aside.
4. Add in the buttermilk mixture alternatively with the sifted flour,
starting with flour and ending with flour.
5. Combine vinegar with the bicarbonate of soda, once mixture fizzles
quickly add into the batter. Mix thoroughly.
6. Scoop the batter into the paper lined patty tins, smooth the surface.
7. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 18 to 20 mins. Test
with a skewer till it comes out clean.
8. Leave cupcakes in tin for about 5 mins. before removing and cooling completely
on a wire rack.
Note : To make Buttermilk - Put 1/2 Tbsp of lemon/lime juice or vinegar into a measuring cup. Then add in enough milk to make up 1/2 cup. Stir and let stand for 10 mins.
Wishing All my readers and friends a great
filled with lots of good health, wealth, harmony and Joy!