These Green Pea cookies do not need much introduction as they have surfaced amongst the Chinese New Year cookies in recent years. This recipe is adapted from Elinluv's Tidbits Corner and these melt-in-the-mouth cookies are really very yummy and you won't really stop at one.
These cookies are very easy to make and making them is not labour intensive..... worth trying!
Recipe for Green Pea Cookies (Makes 70)
- 260 gm green pea powder
- 160 gm icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 340 gm self-raising flour
- 200 ml vegetable oil (you may need to add a bit more)
- 1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp water for glazing
- Sunflower seeds for decoration (optional)
- Sift flour with the salt and sift in the icing sugar. Add in the pea powder and mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Add oil sparingly and slowly mix till the dough does not stick to the hands.
- Let dough rest for about 15 mins., covered.
- Roll dough into small balls and arrange them on a parchment lined baking tray. Apply egg glaze. Stick on a sunflower seed.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 15 mins.
mins. before removing them onto a wire
rack to cool completely.
6. Store cookies in an air-tight cookie jar.
Alternatively you can roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick, in between 2 plastic sheets and cut out with a cookie cutter. Apply egg glaze.