For X'mas I had a wonderful gift from my three musketeers ~ the much awaited Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker! I'm very pleased with this gift as the freezer bowl just fits snugly in my freezer compartment without having to take out the shelves to make room for it. I was very eager to try out the much talked about yummy ice cream that the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker can churn out. I've made ice cream before, years ago with my old faithful Kenwood Chef but it was indeed time consuming as I've got to freeze and cream the mixture many times and with long waiting periods in between.
Recipe for Chocolate Ice Cream (adapted from JoyofBaking.com with recipe and video)
- 2 oz semi bittersweet chocolate, chopped and melted (I steamed it)
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 250 ml whipping cream (used AS vegetarian whipping cream from Korea)
- 250 ml low fat milk
- 35 gm Valrhona cocoa powder, sifted
- 1.1/2 tsp vanilla extract OR 1/2 vanilla bean (Add the vanilla bean to the cream and cocoa powder mixture and bring to a boil)
- Melt the chocolate, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar till light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a saucepan, then whisk in the cream, milk till smooth.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, stirring till free of lumps and the milk just begins to foam up.
- Remove from heat and gradually pour the warm cream mixture into the whipped egg yolks, whisking constantly so as not to cook the egg yolks. If lumps form, strain the mixture. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon till custard thickens enough that it coats the back of a spoon. (Wooden spoon placed in the custard and when the spoon is raised, the film of custard on the back of the spoon will stay in place even when you draw a line with your finger through the middle of the custard).
- Immediately remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir for a few mins. so it does not overcook. Stir in the vanilla.
- Cover with cling film and let cool to room temperature and refrigerate the custard until it is completely cold, preferably overnight.
- Churn the mixture in the ice cream maker for 25 mins. or according to the manual of your machine.
- Spoon the ice cream into a container and freeze it.
- Yield : About 1 litre
I'm submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
I'll be taking a short break during this festive season and here's wishing each and everyone
Gong Xi Fa Cai
May the Lunar New Year shower you with Happiness, Success & Prosperity