Red Bean Ice Cream ... another cooling dessert much sought after in my household during this hot, hazy and humid weather. I was very happy when it 'rained' yesterday but it was short-lived. The rain wasn't enough even to wet the grass in my garden and I was so disappointed. So far, there's no water rationing here in Ipoh but I'm sure that all of us will welcome any rain in the near future.
Recipe for Red Bean Ice Cream
- 150 gm red bean paste
- 150 ml milk
- 300ml whipping cream
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- a pinch of salt
- To make the red bean paste, just boil some red beans with some sugar, once the beans are soft, smash them till fine.
- Place milk and cream in a saucepan, heat gently, once milk starts to foam up a bit, remove from heat.
- Using a ball whisk, whisk egg yolks with sugar till smooth.
- Gradually pour the cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking continuously not to cook the eggs. Add in 75 gm smashed red bean paste, mix well.
- Pour this back into the saucepan, bring to the boil, add salt, keep stirring till the mixture can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour this into a large bowl, cover with cling wrap. Let cool, refrigerate overnight.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the instructions. Add in the remaining 75 gm red bean paste just at the end of churning.