These crispy crisps are very suitable for snacking and can be addictive too. It's simple and easy to prepare but you must work quickly when preparing this pastry as the Filo sheets dry up very quickly, more so in our hot weather. These are light and refreshing and should they lose their crispiness later, just pop them into the oven toaster to reheat.
Recipe for Almond Filo Pastry
- 5 sheets of Filo pastry
- 1 egg white
- 30 gm melted butter or oil (I used butter)
- 40 gm sugar
- 30 to 40 gm almond flakes
- Place the Filo sheets on a board, cut into half. (Cover the sheets with parchment paper and place a damp cloth on top to prevent the sheets from drying).
- Beat the egg white with a ball whisk till foamy and broken down, add in the melted butter, mix well.
- Place a sheet of pastry on the board, brush with the egg white butter mixture, sprinkle the sugar on top generously.
- Then place another sheet of pastry on top of the first and repeat the process till you have 5 sheets of pastry, all brushed with egg white mixture and sprinkled with sugar.
- Cut the sheets into equal sizes, about 1.1/2 inches x 2 inches, then sprinkle the almond flakes on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 4 to 5 mins.till golden brown and crispy. Let cool on the pan before removing them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store them in an airtight container.
I'm linking this post to the Little Thumbs Up Event' and for June, the theme is 'Butter'
Jozelyn of 'Spice up my kitchen'.