I had some egg whites left from making ice cream and not to put them to waste, I made these lemony friands for afternoon tea. Tossed in some pitted prunes to enhance the flavour and taste.
Recipe for Lemony Prune Friands
- 100 gm melted butter, cooled
- 125 gm icing sugar
- 40 gm plain flour
- 70 gm almond meal
- 3 medium egg whites
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 85 gm pitted prunes, chopped
- Lightly grease and flour the Friand pan.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl, add almond meal, mix well.
- Whisk egg whites till light and floppy. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites and lemon rind, then lightly stir in the melted butter to form a soft batter.
- Scoop the batter into the pan and sprinkle some chopped prunes over each cake. Bake for 15 - 20 mins.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 mins. turn out and dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Yield : 9 Friands
I'm linking this post to the 'Little Thumbs Up' event and the theme for June is 'Butter' organized by
Jozelyn of 'Spice up my Kitchen'.