This is my first attempt at making chutney and I was having the impression that it's going to be a very tedious chore. When a friend gave me a few mangoes recently, I quickly browsed through the internet to look for some easy recipes to try my hands at making chutney. I was taken aback when I realised that it was not so difficult as I had imagined and was truly very satisfied with my maiden attempt!
Recipe for Mango Chutney
- 850 gm/1.3/4 lb mango flesh, cut into 3/4" cubes.
- 80 gm raisin
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tsp chilli powder
- 1 Tsp garam masala
- 1 Tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tsps oil
- Lightly fry the chopped garlic and onion with oil, add in the mustard seeds, stir fry.
- Add in the mangoes, raisins and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and once it starts to boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 1 hour, till syrupy. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Test for taste.
- Spoon immediately into clean, sterilised warm jars and seal.
- Let cool, then keep refrigerated.