Walnuts and sugar. That's about it. A simple recipe to make candied walnuts and these are quite a treat. You can toss them into your salad or straight into your mouth. I'd prefer the latter .... crunch, crunch! But remember to act fast as once the walnuts are coated with the melted sugar, they tend to cool quickly and will stick together real fast.
Recipe for Candied Walnuts (adapted from 'here')
- 240 gm walnut halves
- 200 gm granulated sugar
- Heat up the walnut halves in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add in the sugar, mix well and stir frequently to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Once the sugar starts to melt, keep stirring till the sugar is melted and nuts are coated. Keep stirring and turning so as to fully coat the nuts with the melted sugar.
- Immediately transfer the nuts to a sheet of parchment paper and quickly separate the nuts with 2 spatulas, otherwise the nuts will stick together. (You must move quickly from the time the nuts are coated until they're separated out on the parchment paper).
- Keep them in an airtight container or cookie jar.