I had wanted to try this cupcake recipe for quite a while but was contemplating on the decoration for the topping. As my family members are not keen on creamy frosting and the like, I've decided to just give it a very simple facelift. I cut off a bit of the topmost part of the cupcake, filled it up with some fruit paste, dusted on some snow powder and lo and behold, the cake did look attractive!
Intoxicating aroma, soft and moist cupcake with a juicy lychee innard!
Recipe for Lychee Cupcakes (adapted from 'here' with modification)
- 3 oz self-raising flour
- 2 oz plain flour
- 2 Tbsp Hazelnut meal
- 4 oz butter
- 3.1/2 oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbspmilk
- 1.1/2 Tbsp Cointreau (substitute for rose water)
- 12 whole Lychees (if too big, cut into halves, pat dry)
- Fig paste or any jam (optional)
- Snow powder or icing sugar for dusting
- Sift the self-raising flour and plain flour. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix well.
- Fold in the sifted flours, alternating with the milk.
- Mix in the hazelnut meal followed by the Cointreau. Mix well.
- Spoon 1/3 batter into the paper lined pan. Add in a lychee and top up with some batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 20 to 25 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean. Once the cake is cooled, cut off a bit of the top, and fill up the depression with some fruit paste/jam or cream. Dust with some snow powder or icing sugar before serving.
- Yield : 12 cupcakes.