There are many ways to prepare eggplant and to me, the most fuss free method is to just cut it up, steam and then serve with some garlic oil and a dash of pepper. But today, I want to share with you a more 'complicated' method whereby I pan seared them, mixed in some Korean bean paste, bits of pork and added in some dried chillies to make the dish slightly spicy. This dish pairs well with rice or plain white porridge.
Recipe for Eggplant with minced pork ~ 茄子炒肉碎
- 2 eggplants, 450 gm, cut into bite size
- 2 stalks of spring onions, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 150 gm minced pork
- 6 dried chillies, soaked to soften and cut
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 Tbsp oil
Sauce (Combine altogether)
- 1.1/2 Tbsp bean paste
- 1 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- Heat up some oil in a wok, sear the eggplants till brown on all sides.
- Dish out and set aside.
- With the remaining oil in the wok, add in the garlic, minced pork, dried chillies, stir-fry. Mix in the sauce, stir-fry.
- Toss in the eggplants, spring onions, mix well. Fine tune to taste.
- Drizzle on the wine, dish out and serve hot with rice.