This Yam Fried Rice dish seems to be appearing in the menu of some restaurants lately, and I've savoured two versions from two different restaurants. Here, I'm sharing with you my version of Yam fried rice, prepared with leftover cooked brown rice. If you don't have leftover cooked rice, you can still use freshly cooked rice but air the rice to remove moisture and refrigerate it for a few hours before cooking. This way your fried rice won't become clumpy or mushy.
A very satisfying and delicious bowl of Yam Fried Rice, which I must admit is truly 'Yum'!
Recipe for Yam Fried Rice ~ 芋头粒炒饭
- 1 cup brown rice (rice cup)
- 750 ml water
- 200 gm yam cubes
- 30 gm anchovies
- 30 gm dried shrimps
- 80 gm frozen peas
- 2 eggs scrambled
- 1 Chinese sausage, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook the rice in the rice cooker, set aside for a few hours. (I used leftover cooked rice).
- In a wok, add some oil to shallow fry the yam cubes till the sides are slightly brown. Remove and drain the yam cubes on a paper towel.
- Shallow fry the anchovies till crispy, remove and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- With some oil, break in the eggs and stir to scramble. Add in a few drops of light soya sauce, remove and set aside.
- Stir-fry the cubed sausages till cooked and add in the dried shrimps, stir-fry till fragrant.
- Toss in the fluffed up rice and stir-fry, add salt and light soya sauce, mix well.
- Toss in the peas followed by the scrambled eggs and fried yam cubes, mix well.
- Fine tune to desired taste and ladle onto serving bowls and garnish with the anchovies
- Serve hot.
- Yield : 4 servings