This is a delicious, fast and easy dish which can be prepared for lunch or dinner. The chicken has a slight tinge of sweetness and the added herbs lent a sweet smelling fragrance to the dish. Serve with rice or plain white porridge.
Recipe for Herbal Soya Sauce Chicken ~ 药材酱油鸡
- 800 gm free-range chicken, chopped
- 1.1/2 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- pinch of salt
- 3 pcs Star Anise
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 pcs Dong Quai/Angelica sinensis
- 3 pcs Pak Kei/Astrgalus root
- 4 cups water
- Rock sugar to taste
- 2 to 4 pcs of fried bean curd (optional)
- 2 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- Heat up a wok with a bit of oil and lightly fry the garlic and star anise.
- Add in the water, sauces and once the water starts to boil, add in the chicken pices.
- Add in the dong quai and pak kei, salt and some rock sugar.
- Let it simmer for a while, then add in the bean curd and hard boiled eggs.
- Once the chicken is cooked, fine tune to taste.
- Dish out and serve.