This Peach Tea chiffon cake is slightly different from the Matcha Green tea chiffon both in taste and appearance. This Peach tea is sweetened with sugar and the colour is not as green as the normal Matcha powder. The taste of tea is not so distinct as Green tea but overall the cake is soft, moist and light ..... just yummy!
I always seem to have a problem unmoulding a chiffon cake. Just look at the patches! Have googled to see how to unmould a chiffon cake by hand, must give it a try when I next bake a chiffon.
Recipe for Japanese Peach Tea Chiffon Cake 日式桃抹茶戚风蛋糕 (adapted from 'here')
- 6 egg yolks
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 8 Tbsp water
- 150 gm superfine flour
- 20 gm Japanese Peach Tea powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
(B) 6 egg whites
110 gm caster sugar
- With a hand whisk, whisk the egg yolks, add the sugar, mix well. Then add in oil and water and whisk altogether till well combined.
- Sift the superfine flour, and baking powder together. Mix in the tea powder till well combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture in three batches. Whisk till totally incorporated and free of lumps.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till bubbly, add in the sugar gradually, increase the speed and whisk till stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the batter and gradually fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the batter into a clean, ungreased chiffon pan, run a chopstick round the pan and lightly tap the pan on the work top to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for about 50 mins., test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Immediately invert the cake and let it cool completely before unmoulding by running a knife round the side and bottom of the pan.