From Spring Onion pancake, I'm sharing with you a Scallion or Spring onion chicken dish today. This is more or less like a poached chicken dish except that it's laden with a sauce of scallion oil, chicken broth and Chinese wine. This dish can be served as it is or chilled in the fridge before serving,
Scallion Oil Chicken ~ 葱油鸡
- 2 whole leg chicken, approx 600 gm
- 4 to 5 stalks of spring onions
- Ginger, sliced and minced
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 6 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Light soya sauce, salt and a bit of sugar to taste
- Season the chicken with some salt, set aside.
- Cut out the spring onion bulbs, some to put in the pot and some to make the oil.
- Chop up the rest of the green part of spring onions.
- Add the minced ginger into the chopped spring onions, add some salt, mix well.
- Bring some water to the boil, just enough to cover the chicken, add in the spring onion bulb d three slices of ginger and a teaspoon of salt.
- Once boiling, add in the chicken, let it simmer, cover with lid, lower heat, for about 15 mins. Check to see whether chicken is cooked through.
- Let the chicken cool at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the scallion oil. Pour the oil in a pan, add in the spring onion bulbs, sear over low heat till aromatic. Strain the oil into the bowl of chopped spring onions, ladle on 3 to 4 Tablespoons of chicken broth, add in some sugar,light soya sauce, wine and fine tune to taste.
- Place the chicken in an ice cube water bath for about 2 mins., remove, pat dry and chop up the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken on a serving plate and ladle on the scallion oil mixture.
- Serve immediately or chilled in the fridge before serving.