Good old fashioned Cornflake Cookies ..... I'm sure that these cookies are a common sight in many households during CNY as they are very easy to make. Old fashioned they may be, but as long as they're crunchy and aromatic, they'll be well received and they have always been a hit amongst my nieces and nephews, each year.
These are real crunchy, not overly sweet and nutritious.
- 12 oz butter/margarine
- 15 oz self-raising flour
- 1.1/2 eggs
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 3 oz crushed cornflakes
- 1 tsp vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- Crushed cornflakes for coating
- Sift the flour with salt, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, but not overdoing it.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, mix well.
- Fold in sifted flour and crushed cornflakes.
- Let the mixture rest for a while in the fridge for about 20 mins.
- Lightly roll them into balls and toss them into the crushed cornflakes to coat.
- Place them onto paper lined baking trays, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 20 to 25 mins., or till light golden brown.
- Let them cool on the baking tray for about 5 mins. before removing them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store cooled cornflakes in air-tight cookie jars.
- Makes 100 cookies.
I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #3: My favourite CNY Cookie (Jan.2011). Click here. for more information.