These Chicken Pastries are often available in dim sum joints but many a time they're referred to as 'Char Siew Sou' as in the fillings are of BBQ pork. I chose to make mine with chicken, hence the name 'Chicken Pastry'. This serves as a wonderful snack or even for breakfast, accompanied by a hot cup of Chinese tea or black coffee.
You find them yummy? Feel free to grab one!
- 200 gm chicken breast, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small can green peas, 230 gm
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1/2 tsp each of : light and dark soya sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp cornflour + 3 tsp water to thicken
Preparation (Best prepared overnight and keep refrigerated)
- Heat up some oil in a pan, saute the onion till fragrant, add in the chicken meat, stir-fry till cooked.
- Add in water, add in the sauces, test for taste, toss in the drained peas.
- Mix in cornflour mixture, dish out and set aside.
Ingredients for pastry
- 220 gm plain flour
- 2.1/4 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 gm shortening
- 75 ml plain water
Mix all the above together, add water slowly to make a dough till it doesn't stick to the hands. Cover and set aside to rest for 30 mins.
- 160 gm plain flour
- 80 gm shortening
Mix together to form a dough till it doesn't stick to the hands. Cover and set aside to rest for 30 mins.
Egg glaze - 1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp sugar
Black sesame seeds, optional
- Divide water dough and oil dough into 12 pieces, roll into balls.
- Insert the ball of oil dough into the ball of water dough, roll into a ball.
- Roll each ball into an oblong, then roll up, lengthwise.
- Roll out the dough again, roll up like a swiss roll, then roll out horizontally roughly to form a square.
- Put in chicken filling, trim off edges, apply some egg white round the edges, seal up, press with fork to make a pattern.
- Apply egg glaze. Sprinkle on some black sesame seeds, if desired.
- Arrange the pastries onto a paper lined baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 25 mins. till golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan for about 10 mins. before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes 12 pastries.