I made this chicken dish with a packet of herbal tea spices which I used to make Herbal Tea Eggs, added in some sauces, garlic and some tofu ......... yes, another two-in-one dish. Easy and simple and no greasy kitchen to clean up!
- 1 whole freee-range chicken
- 1 packet herbal tea spices
- 100 ml light soya sauce
- 5 gm rock sugar or to taste
- 5 pips garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 4 pcs fried tofu
- Wash chicken, season with a bit of salt, set aside.
- In a wok, bring to the boil 3 cups of water. Add in the sauces, sugar and crushed garlic, black pepper. Add in the chicken, cook on high heat.
- Bathe the chicken with the sauces, cover with lid and let it simmer under medium low fire. After 15 mins, turn over the chicken and bathe it with the sauce. Repeat this after another 15 mins.
- Let chicken for another 10 mins. or so, test by poking the thigh with a fork and when no blood oozes out, then the chicken is cooked through.
- Add in the tofu and let it simmer for another 5 mins.
- Remove the chicken onto a plate to drain off the sauce, let cool, then cut up the chicken and tofu.
- Arrange chicken pieces on a serving plate, spoon over with the sauce.
- Serve the tofu as a side dish with a dipping of chilli padi and light soya sauce.
I'm submitting this entry to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday. Do check it out Here!