Monday, May 30, 2011
Roast Pork ~ Chinese style
This has been on my to-do list for ages but I have been procrastinating. Lately, this seems to be the rage amongst my neighbours and when one of them asked whether I've ever made 'Roast Pork' before, I said 'no'. So I made it a point to get up early one morning, went to my regular butcher, picked up a piece of pork belly for this purpose and along the way picked up a few tips from him as well ..........
The crust was a bit burnt, so I scrapped the burnt tops using the teeth of the 'meat hammer'. Well that was the only tool that I could find amongst my kitchen gadgets most suitable for this purpose and it worked! Now, here's what I did .........
750 gm pork belly
1/2 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp Shaoxing wine
1/4 tsp 5 spice powder (optional)
Extra salt to rub on skin
To apply on the skin
Juice from 1 limau kasturi/calamansi
1. Mix the sauce, sugar, salt and wine in a bowl, set aside.
2. Score the underside of the pork belly diagonally, rub in the marinade, give it a good massage.
3. Place the marinated meat side down on a container to sit and absorb in the flavours.
4. Use a sharp knife to poke repeatedly on the skin and rub salt on it.
5. Place this container on the top shelf of the fridge, uncovered, for 2 to 3 days to dry up the skin.
6. Apply a layer of rice vinegar, then a layer of limau kasturi, repeat thrice.
7. Place meat on a rack in the middle of a preheated oven. Put a foil lined pan with some water at the bottom to collect oil drippings.
8. Bake @ 180 deg C for 45 mins. Switch to grill for 5 mins. and you can see the skin crackling and puffing up.
9. Remove from oven, let cool on wire rack and scale off the burnt parts. Chop up the meat when cooled.
You may like to visit
Roasted Pork @ Anncoo Journal
Crispy Roast Pork Belly @ Christine's Recipes
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday. Do check it out 'Here'
- ► 2016 (91)
- ► 2015 (81)
- ► 2014 (84)
- ► 2013 (92)
- ► 2012 (85)
- Roast Pork ~ Chinese style
- Chicken Pastry
- Choc-chip raisin tea bread
- Herbal Tea Chicken
- Flourless Choco Hazelnut Cake
- Braised Gluten Puffs
- Wesak Day ~ 2011
- Mixed Berries mini Bundt Cake
- Mixed veggie stir-fry
- Non-Bake Flourless Biscuit Cake
- Braised chicken with Foo Yue ~ Take 2
- Happy Mother's Day ~ 2011
- Minced meat noodles
- Basil steam fish
- Steamed savoury glutinous rice ~ 'Loh Mai Fan'
- ▼ May (15)
- ► 2010 (172)