I made this 'Banana Blueberry Upside Down Cake' based on the recipe of my previous post of Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Prior to that I've also tried baking this cake with peaches and I find that they all are delicious in their own way as each of them have a fruity flavour of their own.
For ease of reference, here's the recipe.
Ingredients for the Topping
- 2 oz butter/margarine
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
6 oz plain flour
4 oz butter/margarine
3.1/2 to 4 oz caster sugar
1.1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp orange/lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla
4 to 5 ripe bananas depending on size and length
125 gm fresh blueberries
Brown sugar or Demarara sugar to sprinkle (optional)
1. Coat the bottom of an 8 inch square cake pan with creamed butter and brown sugar
2. Lightly coat the blueberries with some flour from the recipe.
3. Peel the bananas and split into 2, lengthwise. Arrange on the bottom of the pan.
4. Sprinkle the flour coated blueberries on top of the bananas. (Also sprinkle on some brown or demerara sugar if desired).
5. Spread the cake batter on top. (Click 'here' for the method of the cake batter).
6. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 45 to 50 mins.
7. Test with a skewer if it comes out clean.
8. When cake tests done, invert it immediately onto a serving plate.
9. Leave for a few minutes before removing the cake pan.
10.Let cool and serve