I overheard two ladies chatting at my usual market place and one of them said she recently made curry chicken with red apple and it was just delicious, The other lady looked at her in awe and so did I. I only heard that the apple which was used in lieu of the usual potatoes must be crunchy. Curiosity prompted me to experiment with this and here's my version of Curry chicken with Apple and sugarless Soymilk.
Recipe for Apple curry chicken
1 free range chicken about 700 gm, cut into bite size
4 pips garlic
a small knob of ginger
2 to 3 stalks of lemon grass/serai, smashed
15 gm Baba's meat curry powder
1 cup water
1 cup sugarless soymilk
2 red crunchy apples, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
Some curry leaves
Seasalt to taste
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with the curry powder and some sea salt. Set aside for 2 hours.
2. Pound the garlic, shallots and ginger and saute with some oil and curry leaves till fragrant.
3. Mix in the marinated meat, fry for a while and add in 1 cup water.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer till chicken is cooked through.
5. Pour in 1 cup of soymilk and diced apples,
simmer for a minute or two, add seasalt to taste.
Turn off heat.
Note : Once the soymilk is added, do not bring to a boil for the heat will cause the soymilk to curdle, just simmer.
I'm submitting this to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday. Do check it out 'here'