This Caramel Bundt Cake of mine does not have a caramel topping or a glaze and I just tossed in some nibbed almonds to help give this cake a little facelift. Now, where's the caramel you may wonder for Caramel Bundt Cake is the theme for July's Bundtamonth. Ah... the caramel is inside the cake!
I did burn the caramel syrup a little, must admit, and it tasted a wee bit bitter on its own. Fortunately, this was not evident in the baked cake. In fact, the dark amber syrup helped in giving the cake a nice golden colour.
Recipe for # Bundtamonth : Salted Caramel Bundt Cake
(adapted from ' here' with modification)
- Ingredients - for the Cake
- 240 gm plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 144 gm salted butter (Add a pinch of salt if unsalted butter is used)
- 140 gm sugar (original 250 gm)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup salted caramel syrup
- 1 cup milk
- Nibbed almonds (optional)
- 200 gm granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 tsp light corn syrup (I used golden syrup)
- 1/8 tsp seasalt
- In a deep, thick saucepan, add 1/4 cup water, sugar and golden syrup, mix well. Bring to the boil on medium heat. Cover with lid for 2 to 3 mins. Remove lid and cook till sugar turns light amber, swirling occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat, add the remaining 1/2 cup water. (Do be careful as it'll bubble quite vigorously).
- Return to medium heat, whisk till syrup is smooth, add in the seasalt. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly grease and flour a 6 cup Bundt pan (I used an 8 cup), toss in the nibbed almonds at the base.
- Sift the flour with baking powder, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light, creamy and fluffy. Add in vanilla.
- On low speed, mix the caramel in 2 batches (batter will curdle).
- Fold in sifted flour alternatively with the milk.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Level the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C or 45 to 50 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Let cake rest in pan for about 20 mins. before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Method for Salted Caramel
Method for Cake