Cream Caramel is another favourite dessert in my family, especially my children. The price of this egg custard has hiked tremendously recently, from RM 2 to RM2.80 for a takeaway which can be finished off in three gulps. As always, homemade is the most economical and you can rest assured that there are no unnecessary 'add-ons'. I've made them before using soymilk but this time around, I'm using full-cream milk and the result ..... according to my girl, it's 'Yummy, Mum, keep this recipe!'
Recipe for Cream Caramel
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- 3 eggs
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 500 ml full-cream milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract OR seeds from 1/2 a Vanilla pod
- In a saucepan, add the caster sugar and water, stir with a wooden spoon on medium heat.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, STOP stirring and remove the wooden spoon.
- Swirl the pan from side to side and once the colour reaches light brown, turn off heat and remove.
- Quickly pour the caramel into the 4 ramekins.
- In another saucepan, pour in the milk, add the vanilla seeds (slice up a vanilla pod and remove the seeds with the back of the knife) and just lightly bring to the boil. Let cool.
- Break in the eggs, add salt and sugar, beat with a handheld whisk till yellowish white in colour.
- Add the milk into the egg mixture. Mix well with a hand whisk.
- Place the ramekins onto a dish, strain the mixture and then pour into the ramekins.
- Pour boiling water into the dish, just halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 170 deg.C for about 30 to 35 mins., cover with a sheet of foil.
- Bake till just set and wobbly in the centre. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Chill custard in the fridge, covered.
- Run knife around the edge of the ramekin, place a dish on top of the ramekin and turn it upside down, shake it a bit to dislodge.
- Yield : 4 ramekins of cream caramel.
Ingredients for Caramel
Ingredients for Custard
Method for Caramel
Method for Custard