This nutty Pistachio Ice Cream should be most welcome to round off a sumptuous reunion dinner on 30th January as the lunar Chinese New Year falls on 31st January this year. This pale green and fragrant icy dessert is not too sweet and not overly rich as I've reduced the amount of cream in the recipe... so feel free to enjoy!
Recipe for Pistachio Ice Cream (adapted from 'Here' with modification)
- 125 gm Pistachios
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml cream
- 250 ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- Blend half the Pistachios till fine. Roughly chop up the balance.
- Lightly boil the cream, milk, salt and finely ground Pistachios. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar till thick and creamy.
- Pour the milk mixture onto the egg mixture, keep stirring to prevent the milk from cooking the egg mixture.
- Pour this mixture back to the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon. When the custard is done, it can coat the back of the wooden spoon.
- Pour this mixture into a bowl, cover with cling wrap and let cool. Once cooled, keep refrigerated overnight.
- Churn the mixture according to the instructions of your Ice cream maker, about 30 mins.
- Add in the roughly chopped Pistachios just before you switch off the Ice cream maker.
This will be my last post before the Chinese New Year and I'll be taking a short break from blogging.
Last but not least, I wish all my readers and friends
Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai!