When I saw Zoe's post on 'Lor Chicken' recently I bookmarked it straightaway. However, I've substituted chicken with pork and added hard boiled eggs too. Lovely to go with rice. Family members gave the thumbs up!
Recipe for ''Lor' or Caramalised Pork Shoulder (adapted from 'here' with modifications)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3.1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 cup water
- 800 gm pork shoulder, cut to bite size
- 2 hardboiled eggs (optional)
- Put the oil and sugar in a wok and heat on low flame. Do not stir, just let the sugar dissolve and caramalise.
- Add in the garlic, cinnamon stick and star anise. Add in water and spice powder, stir.
- Add in the meat, give it a good stir and once it starts to boil, lower heat and cover the wok. Let the meat cook till tender and the sauce, a little syrupy.
- Add in two hardboiled eggs.
- Dish out and serve with rice.