After having stuffed in so much food during the Chinese New Year holidays, I made myself a very simple salad. Had to make do with what was available from my larder and it turned out to be a satisfying and refreshing lunch.
Not much of a recipe for this dish, just personal preference for what you'd like to put into your salad and dressing is totally up to your wishes. But for my own reference I append below what and how I made this salad.
Simple Chicken Salad
- 2 chicken thighs, deboned and skin removed
- 1 small carrot, cut into strips
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, cut into strips
- some fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp chicken stock
- Sugar and fish sauce to taste
- Peanuts, roasted and finely chopped
- Lightly roasted sesame seeds
- Bird eye chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- Season the chicken with some salt and pepper for about 30 mins.
- Steam the chicken, take out the meat and shred to fine pieces. Set aside the stock.
- Combine the carrot and cucumber strips, celery and coriander leaves in a mixing bowl. Toss in the chicken. Mix well.
- To make the dressing, place the sweet chillli and fish sauce, chicken stock, sugar and lime juice in a bowl and whisk till well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and toss to coat thoroughly. Place on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle on the peanuts, sesame seeds and bird eye chillies.
- Serve immediately.
Note : This salad can be made in advance, keep chilled and sprinkle on the garnishing just before serving.