These Apple Roses certainly do not need much introduction. They were very popular on Facebook during the recent Mother's Day celebration and there are many videos on Youtube demonstrating how these lovely pastries are made. It was 'love at first sight' when I saw these pretty sweeties on Youtube and I told myself that I just have to find time to make them. Even if Mother's Day is over, these cuties can be given as a gift or to celebrate other occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. I've appended a video to show how they are made but also attach some pictures and recipe of how I made them for my personal reference.
Recipe for Apple Roses ~ 苹果玫瑰花
- 4 medium size apples ( I used the South African crunchy apples)
- Juice of 1 lemon + 1 bowl of water to mix
- 2 Puff pastry sheets (I used Kawan puff pastry, 8 " square)
- 2 Tbsp jam + 2 Tbsp warm water to mix (jam of any preferred flavour)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Snow powder or icing sugar for dusting
- Defrost 2 sheets of Puff pastry in the fridge.
- Mix the juice of 1 lemon with a bowl of water, set aside.
- Cut the apples in half with skin intact, core the apples and slice thinly, about 2 mm thick. Put the apple slices into the lemon water to prevent discolouration. Microwave them, uncovered for 3 mins, to soften and become pliable but not mushy.
- Strain the apple slices and pat them dry with kitchen paper towel.
- Mix the jam and water, set aside.
- On a flour dusted board, lightly roll out a sheet of puff pastry, say to about 12 inches long or thereabout. Cut up the pastry into 6 pieces, about 1.3/4 inch width. Brush with jam.
- Arrange the apple slices halfway up the pastry, slightly overlapping them. Sprinkle the cinnamon on the apple slices. Then fold the pastry from the bottom, covering half of the apple slices. Then roll up the pastry from one end to the other to form a flower.
- Place them into the muffin pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 40 to 45 mins. Let cool in pan.
- Dust with snow powder or icing sugar before serving.
- Yield : 12 Apple Roses
I'm submitting this post to the Best Recipes for Everyone, May 2015 Event
(Theme : My Favourite Desserts) organized by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and
co-hosted by Aunty Young