From the onset, I had the impression that Shangjian Bao can be quite an intimidating recipe to attempt but after sitting down and surfing the internet for various versions on how this bao is being made, I was quite confident to give this a try. It wasn't that difficult after all and I really enjoyed biting into the golden brown crisply fried bottom and they stayed crispy even after some time. Will definitely make these again and perhaps use chicken filling instead.
(adapted from 'here' with adjustments)
- 200 gm plain flour
- 110 ml warm water
- 1/2 tsp dried yeast
- 1.1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oil
- Pinch of salt
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- 200 gm minced pork
- 2 Shitake mushrooms, soaked and cubed
- 1 stalk of spring oinions, chopped
Seasoning for Filling
- 2 pips of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
Method for the Filling
- Mix all the seasoning into the minced pork together with the mushrooms and spring onions.
- Mix in one direction till fully combined.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Method for the Dough
- In a mixing bowl, pour in warm water, mix in yeast.
- Add in sugar, salt and oil.
- Sift in flour and use a spatula to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer to a worktop and knead to form a smooth and not sticky dough.
- Place the ball of dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave it in a warm place to let it double in size, about an hour.
- Knock down dough and lightly roll out. Cut to 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- Flatten dough with a rolling pin, centre thicker than the sides. Place filling in the centre and pleat up. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 mins.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, medium fire. Place buns and lightly fry for 2 to 3 mins. till light brown.
- Pour in water to 1/3 height of the buns. Cover with lid and cook on low heat till water starts to dry up and you hear a sizzling sound. Turn off heat, leave lid on for some time. Remove lid and check to see whether the bottom of the buns are golden brown. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- Dish out and serve immediately on its own or with black vinegar.