With the current sweltering heat, drought and unplesant humidity no thanks to the El Nino, I'm at a loss sometimes thinking of what to serve for dinner. Not much appetite for rice, just longing for something soupy with a fair amount of protein, carbohydrates and vegetables, quick to prepare with not much standing in the 'toasted' kitchen .... yes a bowl of Vietnamese Chicken Noodle for a change.
Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup ~ 越南鸡肉面条汤
- 1/2 kg free-range chicken
- Rice sticks
- a small piece of ginger
- 1 star anise
- 1 small piece cinnamon stick
- 2 onions
- spring onions
- 1/4 Knorr chicken cube
- 1 small piece rock sugar
- Seasalt to taste
- Basil leaves
- Bean sprouts
- Bird eye chillies
- Fish sauce
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Clean the chicken and boil some water in a pot.
- Once the water is boiling, add in the chicken, the water should be able to cover the chicken. Add in a whole onion, ginger and the spring onion head.
- Cover, and cook till the chicken is tender, take out to cool and shred.
- Add a small piece of rock sugar into the soup, a star anise and cinnamon stick. Simmer for about 15 to 20 mins. Add salt and Knorr chicken cube to taste.
- Cook the rice sticks as per instructions on the package. Drain and put in serving bowls.
- Add pieces of shredded chicken onto the noodles, ladle on the hot soup and sprinkle on the chopped spring onions, onion rings and bird eye chillies.
- Serve immediately with basil leaves, bean sprouts and a wedge of lemon or lime, with a dipping sauce of bird eye chillies and fish sauce on the side.