I tried making Char Siew ~ BBQ pork and surprisingly it was not too difficult to prepare. I made quite a fair bit as I wanted to keep the extras for other purposes as well. The meat was indeed tasty and here's how to do it if you care to try ........
Add enough water to cover the overnight marinated meat, toss in some smashed garlic.
Scum and some fat removed.
It's now more or less semi-dry. I like to save some gravy to serve with noodles.
Arrange them on a foil-lined baking tray and put them under the grill for about 6 mins.
Sweet aromatic Char Siew. I served them with noodles which will be in my next post.
- 1kg pork belly, skin removed
- 6.1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp light soya sauce
- A few pips of garlic
- Marinate the pork belly with sugar and light soya sauce, turning over now and then to ensure that the marinade has saturated the meat. Keep refrigerated overnight.
- Put the marinated pork in a wok, add in enough water to cover the meat, toss in some smashed garlic.
- Bring to the boil and remove any scum and fat. Cover the wok and let it cook for 15 mins. on medium heat.
- Remove the cover and let it simmer till the sauce is semi-dry, flipping over the meat now and again.
- Take out the pieces of meat and place them on a foil-lined baking tray. Put under the grill for 3 mins., turn the meat over and grill the other side for another 3 mins.
- Cut up the meat and serve with rice or noodles as desired.