I was thrilled when I removed this fruit ring from the oven ...... mmmm sweet smell of cinnamon. This tasty fruit ring does not require any butter or spread to go with it and I prefer to eat it on its own..... but accompanied by a hot cup of my favourite 'Kopi 'O'!
Roll up the dough, form into a ring and cut 2/3 through at 1 inch intervals, cover to prove.
After proving for 30 mins., apply honey and egg mixture, sprinkle on brown sugar, cinnamon and nibbed almonds.
Warm, crusty and nutty loaf, straight from the oven ...........
- 300 gm high protein flour
- 50 gm superfine flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 15 gm skimmed milk powder
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 25 gm butter/margarine
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1.1/2 tsp yeast
- 150 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp honey (beat together)
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 120 gm sultanas, dried cranberries and dried pineapple, coarsely chopped
- Some nibbed almonds to sprinkle
- Sift flours together, mix in salt, milk powder and sugar. Mix with the dough hook for about 10 secs.
- Combine lukewarm water with yeast, sprinkle in the sugar, stir till dissolved. Let rest for 10mins. for it to ferment.
- Pour the frothy yeast mixture into the dry flour mixture, add in the egg and butter.
- Beat on slow for about 10 to 15 mins. till a pliable dough is formed and the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough hook, cover the mixing bowl with a damp cloth and let it prove in a warm place till double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Dough is ready for shaping when an indentation is left after pressing with a finger. Place dough on a lightly floured surface, give it a gentle knock to expel some air.
- Roll out into an oblong about 9 x 18 ins., spread a layer of honey and egg mixture. Sprinkle 2 tsp of brown sugar, the dried fruits and cinnamon powder.
- Roll the dough up tightly beginning at the wide side and seal by pinching the edges together.
- Place the roll on a greased or paper lined baking sheet, forming it into a ring and join the ends together. Cut 2/3 through the ring @ 1 inch intervals.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let prove for about 30mins.
- Apply the balance of honey and egg mixture, sprinkle on the remaining 2 tsp of brown sugar, cinnamon and some nibbbed almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 15 to 20 mins. or till golden brown.
- Let cool on wire rack.
I'm submitting this to 'YeastSpotting'. Check it out here.