There's neither oil nor fat in this Biscotti and with reduced sugar, one can pamper oneself with a few extra pieces without feeling guilty and worrying over the waistline. Dunk them into either hot coffee or tea ...... enjoy!
Recipe for Walnut and Date Biscotti (adapted from 'here' with slight modification)
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 230 gm plain flour
- 60 gam walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 75 gm dates, chopped
- Beat sugar and eggs on high speed till thick, palte and fluffy. Add in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
- Add to the egg mixture and beat till well combined.
- Fold in chopped walnuts and dates.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured suraface and toll into a log, about 12 inches long and 3.1/2 inches wide.
- Place log onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake @ 180 deg C for 20 to 25 mins. or till firm to the touch, slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 15 mins.
- Transfer log to a cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices. Place Biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake @ 165 deg C for 8 to 10 mins., turn slices over and bake for another 8 - 10 mins. or till golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in air tight container.
- Yield 20 to 24 Biscotti.