Recently I tried another version of making BBQ pork (Char Siew) ....... with honey and maltose. As it was my first encounter with maltose, I had a hard time measuring it out with a tablespoon as it was indeed very, very sticky. Then it dawned on me to try dabbing the tablespoon with some oil before measuring out the sticky liquid and it certainly did the trick :) As for the Char Siew, it was good and fragrant as I drizzled on some Shaoxing wine before slicing it up to serve.
Recipe for Honey Maltose BBQ Pork (Char Siew) ~ 2
- 1 kg pork belly without skin
- 4.1/2 Tbsp honey
- 4.1/2 Tbsp maltose
- 2 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- 3.1/2 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1.1/4 tsp five spice powder
- A dash of pepper
- 3 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- Combine honey, maltose, dark and light soya sauces, five spice powder and pepper in a saucepan. Keep stirring and heat up lightly. Let cool.
- Pour the cooled sauce over the pork belly and let it marinate overnight in the fridge. Cover with cling wrap.
- Place the pork belly (thawed at room temperature) in a wok, add 1/2 cup water and cook on medium heat. Once the meat is tender, dish out some sauce and reserve it to serve with rice or noodles. Let the meat cook in the remaining sauce till semi-dry.
- Place the meat on a parchment lined tray and grill for 2 mins. on both sides, remove and drizzle over the Shaoxing wine.
- Slice up the meat and serve with white rice or noodles.