I haven't baked mini chiffon cakes before and with this 4 egg recipe, I managed to get 2 mini chiffon cakes. These orange chiffon cakes were soft, moist, fluffy and the colour was of a striking bright orange. I was totally pleased with these 'products' and yes, they were indeed yummy!
Recipe for Orange Chiffon Cake (Adapted froml Anncoo Journal with modification)
- 4 egg yolks
- 15 gm caster sugar
- 50 gm corn/canola oil
- 70 ml orange juice
- 90 gm plain flour
- 10 gm cornflour
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4 egg whites
- 65 gm caster sugar
- Sift plain flour and cornflour into a bowl.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar with a hand whisk till pale.
- Add in oil, orange juice, zest and stir as you add.
- Sift the flour mixture again into the egg yolk mixture. Stir well till smooth and mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Beat egg whites till foamy, add in sugar and continue to beat till stiff but not dry.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg mixture, mix well.
- Pour the mixture into two mini chiffon cake pans. Lift and drop pans gently to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 160 deg.C on the lower shelf for 45 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Immediately invert the pans onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slide a sharp knife round the sides of the pans to unmould the cakes.