This Black Russian Cake gets its name from the famous cocktail made with Vodka and Kahlua, a coffee flavoured liqueur. As with most liqueur soaked cakes, this cake is very moist and delicious. Although I modified the recipe a bit, as in cutting down the sugar and the cocoa, the cake was incredibly good and the coffee liqueur gave it a rich and unique flavour. The cake tasted much better upon 'maturity', the next day. A keeper recipe for sure!
Recipe for Black Russian Bundt Cake ~ 尔罗斯黑蛋糕 (adapted from 'here' with modification)
- 7 oz plain flour
- 2.1/2 oz cornflour
- 1.1/2 oz milk powder
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder (reduced from 6 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 9.1/2 oz caster sugar (reduced from 14 oz)
- 2 oz butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Vodka (I substituted with water)
- 1/3 cup Kahlua
- 1/4 cup Kahlua to drizzle
- Grease a 10 cup Bundt cake pan, dust with some cocoa powder, set aside.
- Sift flour, cornflour, dry milk powder, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add in sugar and mix well.
- Add butter, oil, milk and vanilla to the dry ingredients.
- Beat with a mixer till batter is smooth.
- Add eggs till well combined. Add in Vodka/water and Kahlua, mix evenly.
- Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake in a preheated oven @ 165 deg. C for 45 to 50 mins. Let cool in pan for about 25 mins. before inverting onto a wire rack to cool.
- Wash the Bundt pan and when the cake is cool, put back into the pan and poke holes on the surface of the cake.
- Drizzle on the Kahlua. Let the cake mature in the pan, overnight.
- Unmould the cake, drizzle on some icing sugar or snow powder. Serve.
I'm linking this post to
Cook and Celebrate : CNY 2015, Yen from Eat your Heart Out,
the 'Little Thumbs Up' event, the theme for Februray is 'Cocoa'
Grace of Life can be Simple