Chiffon cakes remain a top pick in my family because of its soft and light texture. Moreover these cakes are not overly sweet and the plus point is that one can have many helpings and need not worry over adding extra inches to the waistline!
Coffee Marble Chiffon Cake ~ 咖啡大理石戚风蛋糕
(adapted from 'here' with modification)
- 84 gm plain flour
- 6 large egg yolks
- 24 gm caster sugar
- 84 ml water
- 72 ml canola/corn oil
- 3/4 Tbsp hot water + 1.1/4 tsp instant coffee granules
- 108 gm caster sugar
- 12 gm cornflour
- 6 large egg whites
- Dissolve the hot water with the coffee granules, set aside.
- Sift the plain flour, twice, set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar, then add in oil, water and blend well together.
- Add in the sifted flour and mix well with a wire whisk, set aside.
- Combine sugar and cornflour.
- Beat egg whites till foamy, add in half the sugar and cornflour mixture, then add in the remaining mixture. Beat till egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Add in 1/3 egg whites to the egg yolk mixture, fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Take 1/4 of the batter and mix in the coffee mixture.
- Spoon plain and coffee batter alternatively into the ungreased 23 cm tube pan, shake and bang it a bit on the work top. Use a chopstick or skewer to stir the batter to create swirls.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 170 deg.C for 55 mins. Test with a skewer if it comes out clean.
- Immediately invert the cake and let it cool completely, about 1 to 1.1/2 hours. Remove the cake by hand.