I cooked this dish during my recent holiday in Perth. I was attracted to the big chunks of bacon bones at the butchers in the supermarket and instantly thought of the savoury and sourish dish which we normally cook leftovers with 'gai choy'. I couldn't find 'gai choy' and so substituted with green cabbage which turned out just as good.
Bacon bones and cabbage stew ~ 培根骨焖白菜.
- 500 gm bacon bones
- 800 gm green cabbage
- 6 pieces tamarind skin
- 4 dried chillies, reconstituted
- 1 Maggi chicken cube
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 1.5 litre water
- Blanch the bacon bones in hot water, drain and rinse with water. Set aside.
- Cut the cabbage.
- In a pot, add in the water and bring to a light oil. Add in the tamarind skin and dried chillies.
- Add in bacon bones and cabbage. Cover and simmer till the cabbage is soft.
- Stir in the chicken cube and add salt, water to taste.
- Dish out and serve with rice.