It's been quite a while since I've made bread, so here's a simple bun recipe that's savoury and yummy. Shall I refer to them as buns or rolls ......... whatever as long as they taste good!
Roll out a portion of dough into an oblong, brush on some beaten egg, put in the bacon filling.
Fold up, secure, pinch the seams, tuck in the ends, turn over and snip slight cuts on the dough with a pair of kitchen scissors.
Don't they look snug? The soft buns were just so delectable with the aromatic bacon .........
- 300 gm high protein flour
- 25 gm caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 170 ml milk OR 15 gm skim milk powder + water
- 45 gm butter/margarine (cut to small pieces)
- Sesame seeds/pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Egg glaze - 1 egg beaten + a tinge of salt
- 200 gm bacon, trim off fat, diced. Keep fat aside
- 3 shallots, chopped
- Mix sifted flour, sugar, salt and yeast with the dough hook on slow.
- Slowly add in milk, mix for a second, then add in the butter.
- Beat till the dough is smooth and leave the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Remove dough hook. Cover the mixing bowl with a damp cloth, set to prove for 50 mins. in a warm place till double in bulk.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl onto a lightly floured work top. Knock out some air from the dough.
- Knead lightly, divide into equal portions.
- Roll each portion into an oblong, brush on some beaten egg, put in the bacon filling, secure and pinch the seams. Tuck in the ends neatly. Turn over and make slight cuts (not too deep) on the dough with a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Leave on a paper lined tray, cover with a damp cloth, let rise for another 40 mins. or until double in size.
- Brush with egg glaze, sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 20 - 25 mins. or till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm.