I was doing a stock-take of my fridge and chanced upon a packet of mixed cereals tucked in an inconspicuous corner. It must be some leftover. A hurried check on the expiry date revealed that it's still edible. So, I flicked through my recipe collection, subtract, add, tweak a bit and came up with these healthy cookies which I'll simply name, 'Oaty Crisps'.
These cookies are crispy on the outside and a little chewy on the inside and they are packed with wholesome nutrients. As the festive season is not too far away, I suppose this recipe will come in handy for X'mas too!
- 4 oz plain flour
- 4oz butter/margarine
- 3 oz mixed cereal OR any type of dried fruits, nuts and seeds
- 3 oz rolled oats
- 3oz caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- Sift flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- Mix in the rolled oats and mixed cereals.
- Combine golden syrup and butter in a saucepan, heat and keep stirring till butter melts.
- Pour in the melted butter/golden syrup mixutre into the flour mixture, and mix thoroughly.
- Roll mixture into balls, the size of a walnut.
- Place them 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking tray, press lightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 150 deg C for about 12 to 15 mins. or till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on tray for 5 mins. before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store these cookies in an air-tight cookie jar once they are completely cooled.
- Makes 24 cookies.