second attempt, baked in patty tins without the paper cups
first try, with paper cups, much of the muffins got stuck onto the paper
Yummy, straight from the oven and served with some chutney. The tangy green tomato chutney made a nice accompaniment for the slightly savoury muffins.
Recipe for Savoury Corn Bacon Muffins
- 8 oz Plain Flour
- 1 Teasp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teasp Baking Soda
- 1 egg
- 250 ml milk/Sugarless soymilk
- 2 Tbsp Cannola/Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup can Corn Kernels
- 70 gm streaky Bacon
- 150 gm Red Capsicum - diced
- 50 gm Carrots - diced
- 1/8 Teasp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teasp Pepper
- 1.1/4 Teasp Salt
- 2 Shallots - chopped
- Remove the fat from the streaky bacon, diced and saute with the chopped shallots, set aside.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add in the pepper and mix thoroughly.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg, add in the soymilk, oil and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients together with the corn kernels, bacon, red capsicum and carrots into the flour mixture. Mix till just combined.
- Spoon batter into a greased 12 hole patty tin
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 degC for about 25 to 30 minutes, till lightly brown. Test with skewer till it comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with or without chutney.