This was one of my mum's signature dish ...... Pork Ribs with Pickled Cucumber. My siblings and I relished this and will 'kar fan', meaning 'add more rice' whenever she served this on the table.
This is real yummy, succulent pork ribs with a little bit of tangy taste from the pickled cucumber ........ Enjoy!
Recipe for Pork Ribs with Pickled cucumber
- 500 gm pork ribs, cut into bite size
- 2 tsp 'tau cheong', preserved bean paste
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 shallots
- 6 pips garlic
- 10 gm young ginger
- 300 gm cucumber
- 1 red chilly, slice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps sugar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp cornflour + 2 Tbsp water
- Blanch the pork ribs in some hot water to get rid of scum. Drain and set aside.
- Slightly pound together the shallots, garlic and young ginger.
- Saute the pounded ingredients with some oil till fragrant, add in the preserved bean paste.
- Add in the pork ribs and stir-fry for about 5 to 10 mins. on medium heat.
- Add in 1 cup water, dark soya sauce, sugar and let the pork ribs simmer till the meat is tender and soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber pickle by peeling off the skin, cut into 4 quarter lengths, remove the seeds and slice thinly, diagonally.
- Add in salt, sugar and fresh lime juice, sliced chilly, mix well.
- When the pork ribs are done, thicken the gravy with the cornflour mixture. Toss in the pickled cucumber, mix well. Add salt, sugar to taste, dish out.
- Serve with rice.